Sadly, we are so busy and focused these days that we have lost the art of being kind. We have to look hard to find it, and if you are kind to someone… they are incredibly wary that you are trying to sell them something.
I used to love making lists when I was in school, so I’ve decided it’s time to start up the hobby again.
Some of the things on this list used to be known as common courtesy – how to interact well with others (or how to not be an a-hole). Unfortunately, these days courtesy is definitely not common.
The Kindness List
- Share a Smile – it’s contagious
- Go out of your way to find an opportunity to show someone they are valued
- Offer to give up your seat in public transport to children and the elderly
- Be patient with those who need it
- Send a thank you note to someone who has helped you
- Drive in a way that gives everyone the best opportunity to make it to their destination safely
- Listen without interrupting
- Listen without judgement
- Give people the benefit of the doubt
- Be kind with your words
- Be generous with your praise
- Share criticism privately
- Give your best effort and time to your family
- Offer to help when someone is in need
- Prioritise the people sitting in front of you over the crap on your phone
- Show gratitude to anyone who does a job for you, no matter what it is. You either (1) didn’t have the skill to do it yourself, (2) didn’t have the time to do it yourself or (3) had the money to make it so you didn’t have to do it yourself
- Develop the art of engaging strangers in a fun conversation during long waits
- Don’t use the anonymity of your digital identity as an excuse to be cruel
- be kind to those older than you – that person will be you one day (and sooner than you think)
- Don’t wait for someone to recognise they have wronged you – be the first to forgive
- Leave a gift card (or enough money for a coffee) in a random place for a stranger to find
- Be quick to listen and slow to speak
- Learn some really dumb jokes that will make people laugh (or at least groan in protest)
- When you can’t think of anything to give – give your time
- Pay It Forward…
- Watch for people doing everyday awesome things and give them a compliment to let them know what they do is being valued
- To be continued…
Looking for more…
- Art & Photography (3)
- Discoveries (8)
- Inspiration (35)
- Life and Love (34)
- Musings (28)
- Poems (19)
- Quotes (6)
- Reblogged (5)
- Six Word Stories (2)
©️Copyright belongs to the
author writing as @poeticheart
4 responses to “Reviving the Art of Kindness”
I love this list! Used to be a list maker as well – so I well empathise. Still love reading through lists, even if I hardly make them anymore.
“Prioritise the people sitting in front of you over the crap on your phone” – a very good reminder for today. It’s insidious how the pinging keeps one’s eyes riveted…
“Watch for people doing everyday awesome things and give them a compliment to let them know what they do is being valued” – not something I do … I will try to do more now.
LikeLiked by 1 person
Thanks so much for reading and commenting, Ju-Lyn! I’m really glad you like the list.
Is there anything you would add? 😊
That is great advice and a great list to make it concrete
LikeLiked by 1 person
Thanks so much! Please feel free to reblog it… and if you think of something that’s missing, I’ll add it and attribute your contribution.